When Council sought the community’s aspirations for the district and the priorities of actions over the next 10 years back in 2003, one of the concerns raised was the need to protect heritage sites from inappropriate development and population pressure.
The community’s preferred outcome was to see heritage valued and celebrated and to be an integral part of Central’s identity. The types of activities suggested included:
- Develop a strategy for heritage management
- Identify and preserve local heritage history through community projects
- Provide places and spaces for heritage expression.
A heritage steering group was formed in 2004 to consider ways of how to progress these aspirations. Organisations represented on this group include:
Alexandra Museum and Art Gallery
NZ Historic Places Trust Otago / Southland Area Office
Department of Conservation – Central Otago Area Office
Goldfields Mining Centre Limited
Otago Goldfields Heritage Trust
Central Otago District Council
NZ Historic Places Trust – Central Otago Branch
The Working Group is developing a Trust Deed. The purpose of the Trust is outlined as follows:
a) To develop and manage a strategy for heritage for Central Otago which includes:
- Natural heritage - the landscape and the flora and fauna
- Man made heritage - evidence of the hand of man
- Cultural heritage – the everyday way of life reflecting social customs, community and recreational activities and religious traditions
b) To facilitate the identification and preservation of local heritage through community projects and business and individual partnerships
c) To collaborate with, and where appropriate, co-ordinate such agencies, groups and individuals in the development of heritage related activities as well as advance the promotion and protection of heritage in Central Otago.
d) To provide places and spaces for heritage expression
e) Without restricting the scope of the foregoing, the purposes of the Trust shall include the sourcing, using and distribution of funding:
- To enable the identification and recording of key themes, stories, significant sites, buildings and objects that reflect Central Otago’s heritage places and spaces of significance
- To facilitate the protection, preservation, development and interpretation of such themes, sites and objects consistent with the principles of the ICOMOS NZ Charter
- To promote Central Otago’s heritage for the enjoyment of Central Otago residents and domestic and international visitors
- To facilitate research, discussion, education and interchange of information related to Central Otago’s heritage
f) To carry on any other charitable purpose of benefit to Central Otago which may seem to the Trustees capable of being conveniently carried on or calculated directly or indirectly to advance the objects of this Deed.