Winter Road Conditions
For daily morning Winter Road Reports be sure to like and follow Council's Facebook page and if you have a smartphone download The Central App from your app store to get key road alerts notification alerts on your phone.
A number of our high country tracks are now closed for the winter to prevent damage that would occur to these roads if they were used by vehicles during the winter months. They roads/sections of road listed below will be closed until 30 September.
- Lake Onslow Road from Paerau/Styx to the boundary gate at Lake Onslow
- Old Dunstan Road from Paerau Road to Dunedin City Council Boundary
- Old Dunstan Road from Linnburn Runs Road to the Poolburn Dam
- Nevis Road from Commissioners Creek to the Southland District Boundary
- Bridge Huts Road from RP 3120 (Bridge 185)
- Upper Manorburn Dam Road 1350 metres from Aston Road
Waikaia Bush Road is also CLOSED from 9km in on the CODC end and is CLOSED at the Southland District Council end and will remain so until after winter.
4WD Track Conditions
Serpentine Track Vehicle Access
This public 4WD track, on the Rough Ridge mountains off the Old Dunstan Road, is not maintained and is currently in very poor condition. Council urges extreme caution on this track and stresses that it should not be used for single vehicle travel, but by groups of experienced 4WDers in convoy with full recovery gear carried at all times.
Temporary Road Closures for Events
Below is a list of known upcoming events or activities that may cause delays and detours on the roads. This list will be updated regularly but will not include emergency work.
Use the Quick Links to the right on this page to check out NZ Travel Times & Distances and current State Highway Conditions on the NZTA website for planning your travel.