|Our Water Services team has lifted the Boil Water Notice for Omakau and Ophir following three consecutive days of clear tests. |
A boil water notice is a precautionary notice used to safeguard health when the water supply may have been compromised. You may be asked to boil your water:
- if tests show that harmful microorganisms could be present in the water;
- at times of high turbidity in the source water (dirty water);
- if the water pressure drops due to equipment failure or power outages;
- because of a break in or repairs on a water main;
- if the water source has been flooded or there is a significant inflow of stormwater;
- during situations that warrant special action to protect consumers' health.
A boil water notice does not mean that the tap water will make everyone seriously ill but it does mean that the bacterial coliform level is higher than allowed by law or that the treatment process is compromised due to high turbidity. It is possible that there may be harmful bacteria (pathogens) in the water.
Boiling the water kills micro-organisms that can cause disease. Bring tap water to a full rolling boil, let it boil for one minute and then let it cool before using.
When a Boil Water Notice is issued for your area...
- Boil ALL water used for:
- washing and preparing food
- preparing baby formula
- cleaning teeth.
- Boil water even if you have a water treatment device. They are designed to improve taste, odour or chemical quality of the water but will not remove harmful micro-organisms from tap water.
- If you cannot boil your tap water:
- use bottled water
- treat tap water by adding 1 teaspoon of household bleach per 10 litres of water and leave for 30 minutes.
- water purification tablets may also be used to disinfect tap water by following the manufacturer's instructions.
How will I know if a Boil Water Notice is in place?
- Signs are placed in public places (eg local Four Square)
- Alerts will be issued on The Central App (free to download from Google Play or The App Store)
- Notification appears here on Council's website
- Alerts are posted to Council's Facebook page
- Regular broadcasts will be made on local radio stations
- You can be notified by email. Interested? Send your name and address to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Note: a water tanker may be located in your area during the boil water notice also.
Council will advise using these same channels when a Boil Water Notice is lifted.