Roxburgh and State Highway 8 Arrangements from Monday 4 December, 6.00am
- From 6.00am Monday December 4 2017 access into Roxburgh via SH8 will be closed north and south.
- There are five damaged creek sites that cross SH8 that are being worked on simultaneously.
- These are, from the south, Black Jacks Creek, Golf Course Creek, Reservoir Creek, Edinburgh Creek and Pump Station Creek.
- All sites suffered significant damage to the road, some sites also include damage to footpaths, the water network and other services.
- To allow for efficient re-instatement, plant movement and to ensure worker and driver safety, the decision has been made to keep SH8 closed through Roxburgh.
- Contractors are working extended hours.
- At this time it is estimated that SH8 will remain closed until at least Thursday December 7.
- A further assessment of the situation will be made after 3.00pm on Wednesday December 6 and information will be sent out.
- Ettrick is accessible.
- Coal Creek orchards are accessible.
Access – SH8 Alexandra to Coal Creek - Fruitlands - Roxburgh Road
- Coal Creek orchards and businesses will be accessible down to just south of Slaughterhouse Creek.
- SH8 will be open to just south of Slaughterhouse Creek.
- There will be no access into Roxburgh from just south of Slaughterhouse Creek.
- There will be no through access south on SH8 from just beyond Slaughterhouse Creek.
Access – SH8 Millers Flat to Ettrick
- Ettrick businesses will be accessible via SH8.
- SH8 will be closed north of Ettrick at Dalmuir Road.
- There will be no access into Roxburgh from Ettrick.
Teviot Valley Community Board Chair Raymond Gunn says: "This means people can drive in and get their fruit supplies and visit the local Coal Creek and Ettrick businesses, but they will have to turn around and return to the signed detour route to access Roxburgh township. I would encourage people to do just that. These businesses need our support to return to a more normal level of trade."
SH8 Through Traffic – Detour – Millers Flat to Lake Roxburgh Village – Via the Millers Flat Bridge onto Teviot Road and across the Roxburgh Dam, through the Lake Roxburgh Village and onto SH8
- The detour will be in place from 6.00am Monday December 4 until further notice.
- Teviot Road is not a state highway – speed restrictions and traffic management measures are in place.
- Roxburgh town access is across the Jedburgh Bridge.
- Significant truck movements associated with the flood damage repairs will be occurring from 7.00am Monday.
- Horse riders, cyclists and school buses all use Teviot Road – the emphasis is on SLOW DOWN.
- Heightened Police presence.
Senior Sergeant Ian Kerrisk said Police will have a boosted presence in the Teviot Valley over the week with safety paramount.
"It's important that we all just take that extra bit of care and slow down. We want people to stay safe, and all road users need to do their bit to ensure this is the case."
Roxburgh Town Traffic
- Scotland Street south, past Jimmy's Pies and onto Gilchrest Orchard and the sporting grounds will be open.
- Scotland Street will be closed to the south before Golf Course Creek.
- Scotland Street to the north will be closed before Reservoir Creek.
- Dust is a problem in town and water trucks will be spraying the road.
- Slow down to 30kms and exercise caution.