Vincent County Council
Vincent County Council 1877-1989
Vincent County Council was inaugurated in 1877 after the Provincial government was abolished in 1876 giving central government responsibility for the country as a whole.
The County was named after Vincent Pyke (born Pike, 1827 - 1894) by the House of Representatives whom Pyke was a member elect in 1873. Vincent Pyke was also the first Chairman of the newly formed County.
The first Vincent County Council meeting was held in the Cromwell Court house on January the 4th 1877. This was followed by a meeting in February at Clyde where a council vote confirmed that the main office for the County would work from Clyde.
Vincent County Council authority covered the Carrick Riding, Clutha Riding, Dunstan Riding, Earnscleugh Riding, Hawea Riding, Lindis Riding, Kawarau Riding, Manuherikia Riding and Matakanui