The Ettrick Cemetery lies between Mt Benger Range and the Clutha Mata-au River in the township of Ettrick. Established in the early 1870s, this cemetery was originally known as the Moa Flat Cemetery in recognition of the area it was established in before the township of Ettrick was surveyed.
The name of the cemetery was changed to Ettrick Cemetery in 1936 following a request from the Cemetery Trust to the Tuapeka County Council, who then petitioned the Crown.
While it is a large cemetery in area, fewer than half the graves stills exist today due to the ravages of time. It is believed there are a total of 100 people buried here. The first burial took place was a Mr Steven Sunter Fry in 1871.
Located on Domain Road, Ettrick Cemetery is administered by the Ettrick Cemetery Trust with the grounds maintained by Council contractors. All cemetery records and burials are managed by the Trust.