Community development is about enabling local communities to determine the future direction of their place and the projects that they are passionate about. The aim of community development is to actively involve people in building their own sustainable and resilient communities that reflect the values and vision of those who live in and/or identify with them.
The Community Development Strategy sets Council's work programme for the next two years in the community development space.
Council supports in the development of community plans throughout the region. These plans, developed from community input and feedback, provide a collective vision and set of recommended actions that the community can independently work away at.
Community plans provide important insight for organisations involved in the local area about the direction that the community wants to head. It also enables communities to get things done for themselves, which is key to a healthy, resilient community.
Each community plan relies on a group of committed members who give their time voluntarily to drive the community plan actions and develop the overall community well-being.
Council has one member of staff dedicated to community development. Council's role is as an "enabler" to assist representative groups and organisations in achieving their collective goals and visions.
Community Development Manager
Phone: (03) 262 8530
- Alexandra Community Plan (PDF, 1.8MB)
- Clyde Community Plan (PDF, 713.3KB)
- Maniototo Community Plan (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Naseby Community Plan 2016 (PDF, 4.1MB)
- Omakau Community Plan (PDF, 1020KB)
- Ophir Community Plan (PDF, 3.2MB)
- Oturehua Community Plan (PDF, 1.5MB)
- Patearoa Community Plan 2019 (PDF, 4.5MB)
- Pisa District Community Plan (PDF, 838.5KB)
- Roxburgh and Teviot Valley Community Plan (PDF, 1.7MB)
- St Bathans Community Plan (PDF, 2.7MB)
- Tarras Community Plan (PDF, 788.6KB)
- Waipiata Community Plan (PDF, 4.8MB)
The latest Cromwell Community Plan was done independently by Cromwell and Districts Community Trust and can be found here.