Food Operators


​All food sold to the public must be made in, and sold from, a registered premises. The exception to this relates to Food Stalls and Mobile Shops selling food at an event or market. 

If you propose opening a food outlet, first check with the Council’s Planning Department to determine whether the proposed activity is permitted on the site in terms of the Council’s District Plan. Also ensure that any building or plumbing works have appropriate building consents.

Prior to opening the business, you will need to contact an Environmental Health Officer for an inspection and apply for a Certificate of Registration.

Download an application form:

Page reviewed: 14 Feb 2020 9:52am