Public Licensing


​The following forms linked in the text can be downloaded, printed, filled in and posted, or brought in to the Planning and Environment Team in Alexandra.

If you require any assistance with these forms, please contact our Environmental Health Officer,
Phone: (03) 440 0658.


Stand/Stall in a Public Place

If you are intending to sell food from any stall then you will need the approval from Council’s Environmental Health Officer. For some general helpful information about selling food from stalls see this Ministry of Primary Industries' webpage selling food from stalls & local markets.  You can also read Council's Guidelines for a Food Stall​.


Sandwich Boards/Footpath Signs

Council acknowledges that businesses may wish to display signs on the footpath to advertise and attract potential customers. Such signs are also useful to the public and can add to the vitality of retail areas. Under Council’s Roading Policy each business is permitted one display board.

An additional sandwich board permit allows businesses to have an additional sign while still keeping footpath safe to use.

Al Fresco Dining

Restaurant and cafes may place table and chairs on any area directly outside their premises without further permission from Council. However Council reserves that right to prohibit or terminate use of any footpath use if it does not comply with Council’s Roading Policies​​ (section 16 Alfresco Dining).


Amusement Device

The following devices: Merry-go around, Ferris wheel, ghost train, roller coaster, trailblazers, Mini Jeeps, etc. require a Permit to Operate as an Amusement Device.

Download an Amusement Device Application Form​.


Lodge Application

Lodge your application form in the district you wish to use your amusement device including:

  • The prescribed fee (one device per week $11.50 (gst incl), if more than one device an additional $2.30 (gst incl) for each additional device.
  • A copy of the current ”Certificate of Registration”.

If the certificate has expired you will be required to obtain a renewal certificate from the Department of Labour before you will be able to use your amusement device.

Please ensure you allow sufficient time for us to process your application prior to the event at least 10 working days and include your postal address or email address to send the Permit to. We can also accept scanned application forms if you wish to pay by direct credit giving us name and reference on the payment details.

Our bank account number is: 02 09160081744 000 BNZ Alexandra

Page reviewed: 13 Feb 2020 9:22am