Hazardous waste is accepted at Alexandra and Cromwell Transfer Stations by prior arrangement only. Approved handlers are required to be on site to receive the hazardous waste. Contact Alexandra Transfer Station on 03 440 2204 or Cromwell Transfer Station on 03 409 0375 to arrange a drop off.
The acceptance criteria are as follows:
|Class 2,3,4,5,6 (not cyanide), 8 & 9||Class 1,6 (cyanide), 7 (please contact the police)|
|Container must be labelled||Unlabelled container|
|Unlabelled container must be accompanied by a safety data sheet (MSDS)||Leaking container|
|Quantities must not exceed 100kg or 100 litres||Quantities over 100kg or 100 litres|
For any Hazardous Waste you have that is Not Accepted at our Transfer Stations please contact Waste Management Technical Services (WMTS) on 03 376 4191 to discuss disposal options.
Charges for disposing of hazardous waste at our Transfer Station are as follows:
- Up to 20 litres or 20 kg - $10 flat fee
- Greater than 20kg or 20 litres - $10 per kg / litre for each kg / litre over 20 kg up to a maximum of 100 kg or 100 litres.
When bringing in hazardous waste to the transfer station:
- Please label the contents clearly if you know what the contents are and the original label is unclear
- Make sure that lids fit the containers tightly
- Transport the containers upright and secured in the boot to that they can't tip over and leak (for example, place the containers in a cardboard box or plastic tray)
- Place any unsound containers in a heavy-duty plastic bag or bucket when they are to be transported to the transfer station, to prevent leaks in the car.
Removal and disposal of asbestos
Working with asbestos can jeopardise your health and the health of your family. It is preferable to have asbestos removed and disposed of professionally.
Small amounts of asbestos (up to 100kg) is accepted at Alexandra and Cromwell Transfer Stations Hazardous Waste depots. To be accepted at the transfer station, it is important that the Worksafe NZ guidelines are followed the management and removal of asbestos.
- Double-bag or wrap the asbestos in polythene sheets
- Seal the package
- Contact Alexandra Transfer Station on 03 440 02204 or Cromwell Transfer Station on 03 409 0375 to arrange a drop off.