Trade Waste

​​​​​What is Trade Waste?

Wastewater generated by commerce or industry is classified as trade waste. Trade waste contains greater volumes of contaminants than wastewater from an average household. These discharges are monitored:

  • To meet resource consent conditions for discharge of treated effluent
  • To make sure there is not a hazard to public health
  • To make sure drains are not getting blocked by trade waste discharges
  • To prevent adverse effects on the operation of council systems or staff

Individual premises may be required to have some form of trade waste on-site pre-treatment. There are many systems available and design advice should be sought from a trade waste treatment specialist.


Who needs a Trade Waste Consent?

Almost anyone who discharges commercial waste into the sewerage system will need a trade waste consent -restaurants, dentists, winemakers, hairdressers, butchers and so on.


Who applies for a Trade Waste Consent?

The business owner is responsible for holding a trade waste consent. When a business is bought or sold the trade waste consent must be transferred to the new owner. This can be arranged by calling Council.


Applying for a new Trade Waste Consent or Transferring an Existing Consent

A standard form is available to apply for a new trade waste consent or to apply to transfer an existing trade waste consent. A charge applies to process a consent application or transfer. Additional charges may also apply depending on the complexity of the consent and the time it takes to process. 

Page reviewed: 24 Jul 2017 3:06pm