Elections for all local authorities throughout New Zealand are held every three years, conducted by postal vote. They are known as the triennial elections. The elections are conducted under the provisions of the Local Electoral Act 2001, the Local Electoral Regulations 2001 and the Local Government Act 2002. Election day is 12 October 2019.
You need to be enrolled to vote in a local body election.
- Complete the appropriate form at any post shop
- Phone 0800 ENROLNOW (0800 367 656)
- Send your name and address to Freetext 3676
- Access the Electoral Enrolment Centre website on www.elections.org.nz
Elected Member Representation
Following changes made during last year's Representation Review, the Central Otago District will be, from the next triennium, represented by:
- 1 Mayor (district wide)
- 4 councillors to represent the Cromwell Ward
- 5 councillors to represent the Vincent Ward
- 1 councillor to represent the Maniototo Ward
- 1 councillor to represent the Teviot Valley Ward
In addition, there are 4 Community Boards:
- Vincent Community Board – 4 Elected Members
- Cromwell Community Board – 4 Elected members
- Maniototo Community Board – 4 Elected members
- Teviot Valley Community Board – 4 Elected members
Elections will also be held for:
- Otago Regional Council (3 members for Dunstan constituency)
- Central Otago Health Inc
(Southern District Health Board is not having an election this year)
Central Otago District Council will use the First Past the Post (FPP) electoral system. Voters will tick the required number of candidates for each election.
The candidates will be in random order on the voting documents.
Voting documents will be forwarded to electors between 16 September 2016, and not later than 21 September 2016. Voting documents must be returned by post not later than 12 noon on Saturday, 8 October 2016.
Special Voting is available to electors whose name is not on the printed roll or have not received their voting papers. Special Votes can be posted or are available at the Council Office or Service Centres from 16 September – 8 October 2016. On 8 October 2016 Special Voting is only available at the Council Office in Alexandra until 12 noon.
If you are out of the district during the voting period, a special vote can be posted to you at an address of your choice. Please contact the Electoral Officer (details below) if you have any queries regarding this option.
Resources for Candidates
CODC Candidate Information Handbook (PDF, 922KB)
LGNZ Candidate's guide to local authority elections (PDF, 5.7MB)
Return of Electoral Donations and Expenses Form (PDF, 256KB)
Pre-Election Report (PDF, 1.09MB)
Election Signage Information