What you need to know
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the impact this has had on our economy, we know that these are difficult times and that the arrival of the fourth rates instalment, due for payment on 20 May, could be a concern for many in our community.
We want to assure you that we will work with our ratepayers who are experiencing financial hardship to help find manageable solutions to stay on top of their rates payments.
As a first port of call, please make yourself aware of the range of initiatives announced by Central Government to provide financial support to people adversely impacted by COVID-19. These include wage subsidies, redundancy support, mortgage holidays, Kiwisaver relief and a range of other measures. Information on these is available on the COVID-19 website www.covid19.govt.nz.
Your Council has also been looking at what other measures we can introduce to assist with the challenges facing our community. An example of this is the COVID-19 Remission of Penalties Policy that the Executive Committee of Council adopted at a meeting called under urgency on 14 April. Under this policy we will be waiving any late payment penalties for instalment four of the 2019/20 financial year. This gives those who need it an extended timeframe for payment, which may make life a little easier.
It is important that you still pay your rates. Rates help pay for services essential to keeping our community safe and healthy during lockdown and beyond.
If you have any concerns, please take the first step and contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling our team on 03 440 0056. We can work together to make a plan that works for you.
As long as we are at Alert Level 4 or Alert Level 3 our service centres will be closed. This reduces our payment options as we cannot accept cash or EFT-POS payments in those circumstances. The payment options available to you are:
• Online Payment – if you are not set up to pay your rates online, we strongly encourage you to take the opportunity to do so now. This is the most convenient way to pay your rates. You can set your online payments up to be a one-off or in automatic payments instalments.
• Direct Debit – Direct debits can be set for weekly, fortnightly or monthly payments on a date that best suits you, or by quarterly instalment on the due date of the invoice. Detail on our direct debit terms and conditions, and how to set it up can be found on our website.
• Credit Card Payments – You can make credit card payments via the "Pay It" link on our website. Please note that there is a bank charge for these transactions.
• Phone Banking – most banks offer phone banking. Call your bank for details about this service if you think this would work best for you.
All of the above payment methods will require the following CODC bank details:
- Bank: Bank of New Zealand
- Account number: 02-0916-0081744-00
- Account name: CODC Rates
- Account Reference: "your valuation number"
- Cheques payments by mail – Cheques can be posted in to the Council. Please do not post cash. Cheque payments sent by post should be addressed to:
Central Otago District Council
PO Box 122