The Alexandra Airport is situated on 80 hectares of land on an elevated plateau on the outskirts of Alexandra.
The airport is owned by Council and is a small regional airport which has been predominantly used by general aviation traffic generated by the Central Otago Flying Club and horticultural activities such as crop dusting in the past.
The existing airfield consists of the following main facilities:
- Runway 14-32, a 1,200m long by 30m wide runway with a chip seal surfacing, designation;
- a grassed runway running parallel to the sealed runway;
- a small terminal building combined with the Central Otago Flying Club function room;
- fuelling facilities for light aircraft;
- an apron with a taxi link to the sealed runway;
- a Non-Directional Beacon (NDB) located off site at a distance of approximately 9km from the airport. Additionally from 14 September 2017 a new GNSS Instrument Flight procedures navigation aid will be operational.
A $5 landing fee applies, which can be paid in box at the terminal.
Given increased interest in the airport the first stage of a development plan has commenced, being the construction of a private hangar and hangar/accommodation precinct.
The development will consider the feasibility of the following:
- Additional private hangar and hangar/accommodation precincts
- Large commercial hangars
- Tourism operators
- Helicopter hangar precinct
- Flight School and associated accommodation
- Plane maintenance
- Jet parking
Due to continued interest and enquiries the next stage of development is expected to be an additional private hangar/ hangar and accommodation precinct on other side of the runway. Council staff are currently investigating access and services options.
Private Hangar and Hangar/Accommodation precinct
There are currently 22 leased private hanger or hangar/accommodation sites in the private precinct. The lease term is 49 years and lessees are required to own a plane. A plan of the precinct is shown below.
The 22 lease sites include:
- 8 existing hangars
- 6 existing hangars with accommodation attached
- 8 future hangar/accommodation sites in building planning stages
There are 5 more potential sites which could be developed.
Power and water services have been upgraded with reticulation to all sites and 700m of taxiways are under construction. Sealing of the taxiways is scheduled for early Spring.
For further information or interest in hangar sites please contact:
Property and Facilities Officer
Central Otago District Council
03 440 0623