Better Infrastructure for a Better Future
Safe, clean drinking water for Alexandra and Clyde, and an upgraded, environmentally friendly waste management system for Clyde will be the big benefits of two significant infrastructure projects now underway.
Two major pipelines — one to deliver better quality water to Alexandra and Clyde and the other that's part of a substantial project to construct a new reticulated waste management system for Clyde — are now being built.
Fulton Hogan began work to install the pipelines in May 2019 and the project is due for completion in mid-2020. The underground pipelines largely follow a route from Clyde to Alexandra that tracks next to the Otago Central Rail Trail and for short lengths along the edge of State Highway 8.
The Council decided to construct both pipelines at the same time to minimise cost and disruption to the community.
Good Water for Alexandra and Clyde
Water quality has long been a concern for some Alexandra residents. The new Lake Dunstan Water Supply will provide good quality water for people living and working in Alexandra and Clyde and meet NZ Drinking Water Standards.
The new water pipeline will take water from bores deep in the gravels at the edge of Lake Dunstan above Clyde township to Alexandra's northern reservoir for distribution to the town.
Clyde Wastewater Upgrade
The wastewater pipeline will carry Clyde's wastewater to the Alexandra treatment station. It will transport wastewater from a new reticulated system that will be built in stages in Clyde in future years as part of Council's Long Term Plan. The first stage to construct the reticulation system in central Clyde was due to being in autumn 2020, however is now delayed due to COVID-19.
Clyde's new reticulation system replaces the town's existing wastewater system which relies on septic tanks and disposal fields. It will meet environmental and resource consent requirements, significantly improving the quality of Clyde's urban discharges.
Read media releases on the project
- Shovel ready projects a step closer to securing support (21 May 2020)
- CODC submits three 'shovel ready' projects for government support (17 April 2020)
- Wastewater pipeline near finished (15 January 2020)
- Clyde reticulation works and pump station contract awarded (4 December 2019)
- Wastewater pipeline construction heads along Tarbert Street (11 November 2019)
- Care needed due to pipeline construction work on Clyde Hill (9 October 2019)
- Design contract awarded for Clyde wastewater reticulation (19 September 2019)
- Students explore infrastructure first-hand (19 September 2019)
- Construction underway on major water and waste pipelines (24 May 2019)
- Contracts Awarded for Lake Dunstan water supply & Clyde wastewater pipelines (16 May 2019)
- Clyde Wastewater project on track for green light (9 May 2019)
- Alexandra water pipeline expected to go ahead despite algae discovery (9 May 2019)
- In the Pipeline - November 2019
- In the Pipeline - October 2019
- In the Pipeline - September 2019
- In the Pipeline - August 2019
- In the Pipeline - July 2019
- In the Pipeline - June 2019
Want to keep up with the project?
Sign up here to receive monthly In the Pipeline updates.
In the Pipeline will also be available in print at key locations in Alexandra and Clyde.