Under the Resource Management Act 1991 the statutory clock for resource consents stops on 20 December 2023 and restarts on 10 January 2024, with the last day of work for the year being Friday 22 December and recommencing on 3 January 2024.
The planning team centres its work around the Central Otago District Plan and the Resource Management Act 1991.
The Central Otago District Plan provides objectives, policies and rules to manage the use and development of natural and physical resources in the Central Otago district. This framework is based on the provision of the Resource Management Act 1991 (RMA). The RMA legislation establishes how New Zealand manages our environment and people.
Our planning team endeavours to provide sound advice to customers while they navigate through Resource Management legislation and District Plan policies.
What we do
The Central Otago Council’s planning team can help you with the following planning elements including:
- How to comply with the District Plan and where to find information
- Applying for Resource Consents such as Land-use Consent and Subdivision Consent
- Applying for Deemed Permitted Boundary Application (DPBA) and Outline Plans/Outline Plan Waivers
- Understanding of RMA legislation and other legislation where it may be relevant
- Providing Information and guidance on heritage buildings and precincts; residential zoning and resource areas; and plan changes.
- Project Information Memorandum (PIM) reports.
How can we help?
We have two new planning forms, which go directly to our Planning team:
1. Request a pre-application meeting - Online Form - this form is aimed at people who already have plans in place but want to run through them with a planner before submitting their Resource Consent application.
2.General Enquiry - Planning - Online Form - use this form for all general planning enquiries, or to tell us if you are having trouble finding the information you need from our website. We will contact you to help.
Alternatively, book a meeting over the phone or in person with one of our planning officers. We endeavour to answer all queries within 1-2 business days. However, due to staff limitations and sickness our current wait time for the processing of applications can be delayed up to 4-5 days.
Need a review before you apply? Our duty planner is available to assist you with a 15-minute consultation prior to lodging a resource consent application.
- Please have your proposal ready before you come and see us so we can help evaluate all the elements of your project.
- Please ensure all enquiries include preferred contact details and accurate description of the site in question (valuation number, rapid number, or full legal description) and any other details relevant to the enquiry.
Introduction to development contributions in our district and links to related policy.
Digital Resource Consent Applications
You can lodge a Resource Consent digitally. Find out how on this page.
Specific District Plan rules relate to earthworks in both rural and residential areas.
What you need to know about planning a project when heritage factors come into play.
Land Development and Subdivision Engineering
CODC’s standards for works and infrastructure constructed within a new development.
There are 4 key activities that may trigger the need for resource consent. Read our guidance notes.
National Environmental Standard
Information on the NES for Assessing and Managing Contaminants in Soil to Protect Human Health.
Publicly notified and limited notified consents explained, and the notification process outlined.
What is a resource consent? When do you need one? How do you get one? Get the answers...
If you want to build a dwelling on a site in a Rural Resource Area you'll need resource consent.
Seasonal Workers Accommodation
A summary of what Council will consider when processing resource consent applications.
District-wide and specific rules around signage and links to the District Plan for more detail.
Want to subdivide a property in this district? Find out the steps to get a subdivision consent.
Do you provide accommodation for travellers? Read this page to see if you need a resource consent.
Water Supply for Dwellings
Information you'll need for sorting out your drinking water supply and getting a water test.