Located on Springvale Road on the outskirts of the historic gold mining town of Clyde is this delightful cemetery established in 1865.
Surrounded by its striking stacked schist stone walls and looking across the Dunstan Basin, this cemetery provides a peaceful place to stop and reflect. Elaborate gravestones decorated with symbolic reminders of death (memento mori) can be found in this cemetery along with original ironwork and wooden grave surrounds.
Within the cemetery, you will find sections dedicated for various religious dominations - not uncommon practice for cemeteries of that era.
Today many of these sections are almost at capacity and new interment beams have been constructed to take all burials in a lawn cemetery style.
A stone cairn, built on the highest point of the cemetery, was unveiled in December 2012 and serves as a memorial to early European and Chinese miners who are buried in unmarked graves.
This cemetery is administered and maintained by Council and operates as a dry land cemetery.
Records for this cemetery are held at our Council offices in Alexandra.