Selling Food for Fundraising
You can sell food to raise money for a charity, cultural or community group without needing to be registered under the Food Act, provided:
- fundraising occurs less than 20 times a year, and
- all food sold must be safe to eat - no one should get sick from eating your food.
MPI has put out some brochures outlining basic food safety requirements.
- Be food safe
- Hot tips for a safe and successful sausage sizzle
- Food safety tips for event organisers
- Food safety tips for selling food at occasional events
- Homekill (note homekill meat cannot be sold)
If you sell food on 20 or more occasions per year for fundraising purposes, you will need to be registered under the Food Act 2014 and operate in accordance with either a Food Control Plan or National Programme.