Millers Flat Cemetery
Found on the banks of the Clutha Mata-au River is the township of Millers Flat. At its southern end is the Millers Flat Cemetery.
The first burial is thought to have taken place around 1863. Unfortunately early records were destroyed in the Fagan Store fire of 1936. The cemetery was affected by a further tragedy in the 1950s when fire was used to clear vegetation on the site and unfortunately a number of wooden grave markers and surrounds were destroyed.
The cemetery has a fine display of early gravestones in the monumental style of the 1800s and early 1900s, many of these providing insights into the life of this former gold dredging town.
Millers Flat Cemetery is administered by the Ettrick Cemetery Trust with the grounds maintained by Council contractors. Cemetery records and burials are available through the Trust.
Ettrick Cemetery Trust
Phone: (03) 446 6727